As students collect their reports cards and another year concludes, there are those students that standout. Why do some students succeed beyond expectations while others merely graduate?

A survey was conducted on the act of writing down goals. Harvard MBA graduate students were asked “have you set clear, written goals for your futures and made plans to accomplish them?” Only 3% of this group responded yes, 13% had goals but they were not written and 84% had no goals at all. The interesting part is how goals seed future success. In ten years’ time this group was re-surveyed based on their incomes. Those 3% who had written their goals and plans down had an average of 10 times as much earnings as the remaining 97%.

The moral of that statistic is that it is important to be clear on what the goal is and that means writing it down. The art of learning goal setting does not need to be left to the best and brightest graduating. Setting goals takes practice and perseverance much like achieving those goals. How do students get to that level? Weekly practice and forming positive habits.

ChWorkHardildren dream naturally. As students begin their education in kindergarten dreaming is encouraged and continued. However, it continues in a more structured fashion with imaginary play. Students dream about being a princess, a warrior, a mommy or a doctor. As the school years go by their dreams are acted out on career days where students show up, knowledge in hand about the career they dream of.

Taking those dreams and visualizing them as a real part of life separates the dreamers from the achievers. How does a student learn how to make these dreams a real part of their life? Some students do this naturally while others don’t know how to act or where to start. Teaching students to set goals is a life skill and an indispensable lesson. Crystal Clear-Creating a predictable future workbook addresses this need and is a perfect fit in the classroom.

Students should begin the formal act of goal setting by their middle school years.
Goal setting will result in a life full of achievement. In a classroom survey 82 % of the students between 10 and 11 years old had a goal however only 1% had written their goals down. Crystal Clear workbook can dramatically improved this.

Writing a goal down is key to commitment. When a goal is written down it feels real. It takes the dream and makes it a goal. Also by writing it down it clarifies the target.

The act of writing the goal down makes the goal specific. For example, it’s great you are going to be a life guard, but better that you are going to be a life guard THIS summer after passing your Bronze Cross course. Making that goal actionable in a specific timeframe, is how it is going to happen.

Goal setting is a habit that needs to be practiced, just like perseverance. There will always be obstacles. It is the visualization and goal that will help you to leap over that obstacle; but, without the goal written down and the actions behind it, those goals just become forgotten dreams.

Think of J.K Rowling, author of Harry Potter, after years of writing her stories she knocked on 12 different book publishers and they all said no. The thirteenth publisher only agreed because his 12 year old daughter insisted on knowing how the book ended. Even after agreeing to publish her book the publisher told J.K. Rowling she was a terrible writer and should not make it her career. Her goal of writing got her through all the obstacles and her perseverance held her steady.

Crystal Clear workbook has been designed to create the habit of goal setting in 10-13 year olds and teach perseverance. Is your classroom using the Crystal Clear workbook? Find out more by emailing crystalcleargoalsetting(at)gmail.com